Researchers say that this condition is hereditary, and it is caused by altering a gene on chromosome 7. People should know that this is a chronic, degenerative and irreversible disease that mainly affects the lungs and digestive system. Because cystic fibrosis is an inherited disease, it is usually detected at an early age (children) or young adults, so it is very important to detect it to start treating cystic fibrosis as soon as possible.
In cystic fibrosis there is a decrease in the concentration of water (H2O), sodium (Na) and chlorine (Cl) in body fluids. This decrease causes an increase in the viscosity of body fluids (mucus) and this viscosity leads to a greater predisposition to infections and inflammation, especially in the lungs, liver, pancreas and reproductive system, but of these, the most affected will be the lungs and the pancreas.
In this disease, people need to pay close attention to the lungs and pancreas because proper care of them will be beneficial to minimize the symptoms of the disease.
The treatment of this condition consists of the following:
- First of all, people suffering from this disease should benefit from a normocaloric diet, focusing on the complex intake of carbohydrates and low glycemic index, because with altered pancreatic function, they are patients prone to diabetes.
- Secondly, in this disease it is recommended to eat white meat, eggs, white fish and blue fish.
- In the case of fats, we must give priority to polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fatty acids (EVOO, nuts and avocados). We must always individualize and test these foods on the patient to check the patient’s tolerance.
- If you are one of the people suffering from a severe condition of the pancreas, we will evaluate the supplementation with pancreatic enzymes, to promote proper digestion and absorption of nutrients.
- Vitamins and minerals, assessed according to the deficiency and circumstances of the patient if supplementation is necessary.
In conclusion, people need to know that this disease is a very little known but very hard, which greatly compromises the lives of patients suffering from it, so it is essential to use all possible methods and techniques to alleviate the symptoms that these patients present them so that, inside gravity, they can lead the best quality of life.